Monday, March 03, 2008

It's a New Year!


Yes, I know it's been a while since I blogged -- I've been busy! Trying to finish my first semester of teaching, preparing the house of the new baby, Christmas stuff, etc! Well, Baby Erin arrived on time Christmas Eve and I finally had a chance to relax in the hospital while my whole family stayed in my house. My son Daniel couldn't have been more thrilled to be a big brother and he's still thrilled 2 months later. His schoolwork and focus in kindergarten have even improved!


I returned to work at Raleigh Charter a month ago, when Erin was 6 weeks old. It wasn't too hard, actually since I drop her off around 9 and pick her up at 4pm everyday. During my leave I managed to get in some writing and I sent work off -- I just received word that the Kakalak 2008 Poetry Anthology accected my poem, "Domestic Duties" which was a poem I wrote while I was in Iowa last summer. Yay!!


I'm also facilitating a poetry teleconference this Thurs 3/6 from 8-9pm for http://www.reenchantplanetearth.com/. Should be a good time -- my students who want extra credit may join in, too.


I'm one of the poetry judges for the Wake County Libraries Teen Poetry Contest and I'm giving a free poetry workshop at the West Regional Library in Cary Tues. April 22nd -- more details to follow!!


This week I'm staying wonderfully busy and I'm so glad I had the morning off to write this and send out work!


Alice

1 comment:

GLADYS ANNE said...

Congratulations on your new baby
girl. Lucky you! I had 3 of the
wildest boys on earth! I felt I
always missed something by not
having a daughter. Oh Well! Maybe
in the next life. Also, Congrats
on being published again. Loved
reading about your Iowa trip. I
lived in northwestern Iowa for three years. I grew up, graduated
from high school, married, had 3
sons, divorced, graduated from
college and lived in Kansas until
1984 when I was transferred to NC.
I love the prairie and miss the
peace and quiet out there a lot.
Look forward to your book club on
Fri the 14th "Water For Elephants"
Health issues may keep me from it,
but so far it's a go.
Thanks again for sharing the photo
of little Erin.
yyoung001@nc.rr.com